Labels

Sunday, September 16, 2012

The stash

My newest quilt is called Poppy's Rainbow after my dad, Jack Sherman.  My dad always had a "stash."  He loved tools and would collect them in his basement. Dad must have had 25 hammers and over 100 power tools, most never used but all greatly cherished and fiercely protected from my mom's attempts to "clean up the place."   In 1997, we all moved away from North Carolina.  My mom and dad returned home to California.  My wife and I and our two kids moved to South Florida.  Dad's packing of his Ryder truck was a sight to behold.  He was bound and determined to get every last tool and piece of junk he had accumulated into that van.

 Jack packing the van to move to California and Sara, age 2.   










 As a quilter, I have come to understand the value of a stash. Don't tell my wife this but I have over 250   pairs of scissors. And I plan to get more.  Why not? I quilt and I am passionate about it.  It tells my story. It is my soul. I sew and so I am. Without my stash, I couldn't have made Poppy's Rainbow.





Quilting in my studio on my A1 surrounded by my "stash."



What is in your stash?

Mark

copyright 2012 Mark Sherman and Remarkable Quilts
www.remarkablequilts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment