Labels

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fancy



Fancy


I can’t help it.  I like things fancy.  I always have. My wife says I go way over the top with everything I do and “it really isn’t necessary. People won’t notice anyway.” She is probably right.  But I notice.  And I have always liked things fancy.


My daughter Sara was born in North Carolina in 1994.  Before she was born, I found her baptism dress.  It was an antique lace dress from the late 1800’s. At over five feet in length, the dress was made entirely by hand with over 50 small pearl buttons down the back.  We were almost late to the church because of how long it took my big old hands to get those little buttons buttoned. My wife said it wasn’t necessary. 


Sara, 3 months, in her baptism dress




 We had a big reception at our house afterward. It was fancy….very fancy.




Cake for the reception after the baptism


I bring this tendency to my quilts too.  After spending months and months working on Poppy's Rainbow with the turned edge appliques, quilting and fills, I spent more time applying Swarovski crystals to enhance the design.  I have developed a  glue (Remarkable Jeweler’s Glue – limited quantities available from my on line store at www.remarkablequilts.com) that is so strong the crystals stay on even after a quilt has been shipped and hung at shows around the country.


Putting Swarovski™ crystals on Poppy's Rainbow


Real fancy


I like things fancy. Do you?

Mark
© Mark Sherman and Remarkable Quilts Design Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment