Labels

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Inspiration




People often ask where I get inspiration for my quilts and quilting patterns.  My garden is one source of inspiration. Over the last couple of years, I have planted and nurtured many bromeliads.  Bromeliads must have shade so they are planted on the north side of my house in a 10' by 10' raised bed. I built up an area with rich soil, shaded by palm trees and ferns.  Of course, living in South Florida is like being in a greenhouse, especially during our hot humid summers. 





My bromeliad garden






I have been hard at work now for over a year on my new quilt.  When I need a break from my long arm quilting machine, I go out to my garden.  I weed and trim and water and plant. Many of my bromeliads are now flowering and giving off “pups” that I will harvest and plant somewhere else or give to friends.


Spike on my bromeliad






The rich variegated colors and detail on the leaves and spikes inspire my quilting and background fills.



Quilting and fills on Poppy's Rainbow








What is in your garden?



Mark
 

copyright 2012 Mark Sherman and Remarkable Quilts





No comments:

Post a Comment