Labels

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Basket case




Some days I am a complete basket case, as the term is used to describe a person in a hopeless condition.  The lawn needs to be mowed and the garden weeded. In the South Florida heat and humidity, the grass seems to grows two inches a day and the weeds multiply and grow a foot every week. Laundry is piling up thanks to my two kids, the house needs to be cleaned and the refrigerator is empty because I haven’t gone to the store.  The neighborhood association sent a notice that my roof needs to be cleaned by tomorrow or else. I am hopelessly behind!

So, I do what many of you do. Let the lawn, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, refrigerator and roof wait. Tomorrow is another day. For today, I decide to sew instead.  I love to sew and I always have a project waiting for me somewhere.  This week, I am working on my fabric baskets. Not just any fabric baskets, but baskets made using my hand dyed fabrics and custom made 100% cotton solid core rope (available at www.remarkablequilts.com). I use Aurifil 50 wt. Mako cotton thread to sew the baskets together.
                                               .
I am inspired by my collection of antique Native American baskets.  Basket weaving is one of the oldest known Native American crafts.  These beautiful baskets with their exquisite craftsmanship can be made from braided sweet grass, bundled pine needles, sumac, willow wood and swamp grass among other materials. I have found these treasures in antique shops  throughout the US.  I collected my first ones while visiting my dear friend Elaine in La Crosse, Wisconsin.



Native American baskets in all their wonderful designs and shapes



In a few weeks, I will be at the Palm Beach County Quilter’s Guild where I will be teaching a basket class. Hello to all my friends there!!! We will have a wonderful fun time and all the quilters will be taking home a beautifully made and decorated basket.




Mark's RemarkableQuilt baskets


Sure, I am a basket case on many days. But it never stops me from sewing.  What do you need to do today? And dear quilting friends, what are you going to do?

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment